Saturday, February 12, 2005

Introducing myself

This is my first post for this blog, so let me tell you a little about myself first.
I consider myself to have had a fairly religious childhood, I was brought up as a Protestant who attended a Catholic primary school and my family went to church every Sunday.

In my last two years of Secondary school I began to question my beliefs both in Christianity and in God, so I decided to look more closely at it's teachings and history. The more I looked the more I became disillusioned, as I read the Bible I found there to be numerous contradictions and inaccuracies. The history was even worse, to name but a few of my problems with it are: using force to spread the religion (the crusades)(what happened to 'But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you'. - Matthew 5:44 (NIV)), burning innocent people for having different beliefs (the witch hunts) (what about to 'Love your neighbor as yourself. - Mark 12:31 (NIV)), and trying to stunt the progress and advancement of science (Galileo)(as a scientist I'm a bit upset by this).

At collage one of the subjects I took was Religious studies, this is where I became interested in the teachings of Buddhism. I have also recently become interested in Islam.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Collage: An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.

College: An institution of higher learning that grants the bachelor's degree in liberal arts or science or both.


I find it hard to believe you went to the latter if you do not even know how to tell the difference between it and an artistic composition.

4:38 pm  
Blogger David said...

Actually I have severe Dyslexia, which is a disability I have had to cope with since I was a child. Dyslexia is a learning disability and among other things affects the ability to write and spell and can also effect short-term memory, for more information go here http://www.dyslexia-inst.org.uk/. So in future before you criticise someone maybe you should find out more information about them first.

9:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. Sorry. I stand corrected.

7:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David:

A childhood very much like my own, with parallel if different "outcomes" (i.e. What day is it?). The Occult has facinated me for nearly as long as I can remember, and I voted for McGovern.

One point of caution (perhaps encouragement disguised as a warning) that runs through my head goes: Just remember, sometimes when you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back. But I don't think Buddists have to fret over that sort of thing...:-)

Enjoyed your share. And here's a deep question that I hope might kick-start a real conversation: Why is it that the Web is so overpopulated with low s'teamers whose only contribution to boads, blogs, etc is to correct spelling?

2:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home